The name of the town is thought to be derived from a misspelling of the name of the nearby village of Egglescliffe meaning a church on a hill. A common myth on the name change is that in the Victorian times the sign for the new railway station turned up incorrect after the signwriter thought that Egglescliffe was a mistake and altered it. Bishop Skirlaw of Durham built a stone bridge across the Tees in 1400 which still stands. An iron replacement was built in 1805, but it fell down in 1806.
About Our Village Hall
Eaglescliffe Village Hall (a former Methodist Chapel) is situated on the main Yarm Road - easily accessible by road and rail. It is on the main bus route and just a few minutes walk from Eaglescliffe Station. There is a small car park to the front and another to the rear.
Information on this page is provided by the hall committee. Hiring will be subject to a formal Hiring Agreement between the hall committee and the hirer. Current hire charges can be obtained from the contact person named above.