Elwick is a village and civil parish in the borough of Hartlepool and the ceremonial county of County Durham, in England. It is situated near the A19 road to the west of Hartlepool. Hartlepool Borough Council governs Elwick. As Elwick is only a small parish it is not able to run itself as its own district. Elwick was known as a township until 1866, but then was changed to a civil parish status. The Elwick Parish council meets to discuss problems to put forward to Hartlepool Borough Council about its electoral ward. Saint Peters church is Church of England and the only church in Elwick. It has been described by the Archbishops' Council as "a small, friendly, family-orientated church." It is a grade two listed building, listed in 1967. Protected by the English Heritage its ID number is: 59861. The church was built in the late 12th century, but has been restored many times. St Peters has aisled nave, chancel with north vestry and a south-west tower over looking the porch. The church has beautiful stained glass windows. The church commissioned a window depicting marriage, which was installed in February 2010 and designed by Alan Davis. Elwick has two public houses – The Spotted Cow and the McOrville Inn. It had a village shop and post office until recently, when it closed. EON, the energy supplier, has put in place three wind turbines on the border of the parish. This development in 2003 split the community, with some accepting the turbines and others opposing them.The three wind turbines provide energy for 6,000 homes.