Grindon The place name of "Grindon" is derived from the word 'dun', which meant hill. Built in 1877 to carry the Clarence Railway to Wynyard, Thorpe Thewles viaduct, a magnificent piece of Victorian architecture, once heralded the approach via the A177 to the village of Thorpe Thewles, located three miles north of Stockton and some 16 miles south of the city of Durham. Sadly this 460 yard long viaduct comprising 21 arches, having taken two and a half years hard labour to build, was demolished in two and a half seconds on 3rd June 1979, stripping the village of these regal and impressive arches and destroying with it some of our local railway heritage. The village of Thorpe Thewles is the main centre of the agricultural parish of Grindon, an area of some 5,400 acres embracing the 2,500 acres of Wynyard Hall, the former seat of the Londonderry family. It is fortunate in that, unlike some other villages, much of the relatively recent development sits comfortably with the older part of the village and retains the settlement's character, which is an interesting variety of 17th, 18th and 19th century buildings. Despite the loss of the unmistakable landmark of the viaduct the village still retains features of historical and architectural merit. It possesses a church, one public houses, both of which are Grade II listed buildings, a manor house, a village hall and a village green. In every parish, the church building tells several stories. Such is the case of Thorpe Thewles - the original church of the parish was at Grindon and dedicated to St Thomas a Becket. Clearly the clash between King Henry and his archbishop is important not just for historians today, it nattered to the people of Grindon 800 years ago. Six centuries after Thomas' martyrdom, William Cassidi, the then vicar of Thorpe, saw the need for a new building on a new site and because of the movement of the population over the years from Grindon to the sand-quarrying at nearby fore Thewles, a new church, the church of Holy Trinity, was built in 1848. As a consequence of the close proximity of the stately home of Wynyard, also in Grindon parish, the village has enjoyed over the years the frequent visit of royals, semi-royals and leading statesmen and politicians from allover the world.
About Our Village Hall
A BRIEF HISTORY OF GRINDON PARISH HALL, THORPE THEWLES. In 1922 Lord Boyne, who was a significant Landowner of Thorpe Thewles and the surrounding Farmland, gifted a plot of land on the northern edge of the village for the purpose of building a community hall. A Public Works Loan Board (PWLB) 60 year Loan was secured by Grindon Parish Council on behalf of the Electors and construction duly followed. The Holding Trustees are the Chairman of the Parish Council and the Vicar of the Parish. Between the wars, the simple form of the Hall with two open fires on the east wall and a small kitchen extension between them served the local folk well. ‘Local’ included the whole of the estate employees and families of Wynyard Park and the residents of the surrounding villages. The success of the weekly Dance, the Whist Drive, the Choir, Drama, Badminton and games evenings continued through the war and the 1950’s, even through the 60’s into the 70’s before easier transport into Town made an impact on attendances and use. Unaffected were the meetings held by the Mothers Union, the WI, the Parish Council and the PCC until the Branches of the first two disbanded. The Parish Council came to the aid of the Management Committee when the PWLB 60 year Loan was cleared and a plan was formed to seriously refurbish the Hall with a new Loan to be repaid from the Precept. This saw an extension along the full length of the rear of the Hall, with new toilets, cloak rooms, storage and kitchen improvements. The large front windows were renewed with double glazing and full central heating was fitted as the Village now had a hard won Gas Supply. The Managing Committee are now the representatives of the Hall User Groups and the four Officers are replaced as representatives of their Group upon their Election. The Roll of the Managing Committees is that of facilitators, to provide a well maintained, well decorated Hall for the User Groups and the Groups fully organise their own events and activities. Casual bookings such as Business and Parties, Wedding Receptions and Anniversaries are handled by the Booking Secretary with the help of the Committee when necessary. The pressure from above today seems to continually become more intense, thankfully much of this is recognised by the Tees Valley Village Halls Network and TVRA who provide advice and assistance whenever required.
We have a large purpose-built community hall which is centrally heated and double glazed. The hall can seat up to 80. At a cost of £10 per hour you may hire the Hall. There are sufficient stacking chairs and tables are available to hirers at no extra cost. We have a well-equipped, fitted kitchen with two modern domestic size ovens and hobs. (No dishwasher). The use of kitchen equipment, glasses, crockery and utensils are included in the hall hire price. The use of a Projector screen is available. The Hall is covered by a Premises licence and PRS & PPL music licences. There are three toilet cubicles along with a large toilet with sufficient access for disabled use. Village parking is available.
Art classes/displays and exhibitions
The History Group
The Coffee Club
The Badminton Court & Sports Evenings
The Village Fete
Also choir practice, meetings, community presentations and talks.
The hall is ideal to hire for:- Training Parties Wedding receptions Funeral teas Dances Keep Fit classes Functions Social events Fairs and Sales Craft and other classes
How To Book The Facilities
Contacts: Main contact: Kate Lee (Bookings Secretary) Tel: 0773 607 4868 e-mail: email@example.com Second contact: Lynne Williams (Treasurer); Tel: 0792 252 1730 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Information on this page is provided by the hall committee. Hiring will be subject to a formal Hiring Agreement between the hall committee and the hirer. Current hire charges can be obtained from the contact person named above.