Loftus Town Hall is a handsome Gothic structure situated at the junction of Loftus High Street and Water Lane, adjacent to St Leonards Church and close to Loftus Market Place. There is limited parking available nearby in Loftus Market Place and at the public Car Park at South View(off North Road).
HistoryLoftus Town Hall was built by the Earl of Zetland, erected by Mr Thomas Dickenson of Saltburn, and was first opened in 1879. At that time the building comprised:
The Town Hall clock has faces North, East and West, but no face to the South as the residents of South Loftus were reluctant to contribute to the cost.
The Town Hall remained in the ownership of the Zetland family until 1948, when it was purchased by the former Loftus Urban District Council for £2000. Due to local government reorganisation in 1974 the ownership of the Town Hall transferred to the former Langbaurgh Borough Council, and eventually to Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council. In 1992 budget cuts threatened closure of the Town Hall, and Loftus Town Council moved into the building and took over responsibility for maintenance. The Town Council Office was moved out in 1996, but the Town Council still organises functions in the Town Hall.
Following refurbishment, the Town Hall now comprises:
Hiring the Hall In recent months the Town Hall has been used for:
Formal meetings, Award presentations, Exhibitions , Concerts, Informal meetings, Consultations, Dances, Weddings, Children's Parties, Christmas Fayres, Santa's Grotto
Hire charges First Floor Function Room:Commercial Hire - £16 per hour
Charitable/non profit making organisation - £10 per hour
Ground Floor Room 2:Commercial Hire - £7 per hour
Charitable/non profit making organisation - £5 per hour
Whole building (except Council Chamber and Office) - £180 per day Council Chamber by arrangement only. For further details or to book the Town Hall, contact the Clerk
Saltburn By The Sea